some Dagbani proverbs (from the Dagomba, the major tribe in the North)
– Does the dog not really refuse the small heaps of goods for sale?
– It is because of its secret that the wild fig tree blossoms at night. (I LOVE THIS ONE)
– If you want to stop your friendship, tell your friend, “look for some rabbit eggs for me.”
– The dog that shits a proud shit will struggle to collect it.
– People roast a frog together and then throw stones at each other.
– Big animals cannot swallow each other.
– The death of the donkey is what brings an end to farting.
– We warm ourselves by the fire and see one another’s testicles.
– It is good to be independent, but what about when you have catarrh and large boils?
– A rabbit says that it doesn’t know under what circumstances it would believe the world and lie on its back.
– You don’t laugh when chasing a small rabbit.
– The earthworm has developed teeth and the night adder hears it and stops being wicked to its neighbour’s children.
– If there is an arrow stuck in my friend’s head that I am pulling out it is better than being stuck in my head.
so true… so true.